When it comes to what is loyalty, a loyal person thinks, says and does everything in a congruent manner. This is what it comes down to and is the easier answer. They don’t deviate. They are just as true to their word when times are good as when times are tough. A loyal person will have your back whether your popular or your the most hated. They aren’t swayed by other peoples opinions. They don’t change how they think about you just because other people are. They are truly a ride or die.
A person that shows loyalty to you does so with no personal agenda. It is pure selflessness in a sense to where they put your needs over even their own.
Why Is Loyalty Important
In my opinion, loyalty is so important because it aligns with your moral compass. Most every human being is good. When we are loyal, we tap into this moral compass. Even if it has been a long time since we have done so. And it feels good. It feels like we are doing the right thing. Because we are. I mean unless your loyalty is to a mob boss. If you are are being loyal it is going to make you feel almost a sense of superiority because there is such a lack of loyalty in the world.
Loyalty is also incredibly important because of the fact that it can be rare. So when people get it from you, they will follow you to the end of the earth. They will respect you so much more and you will build loyalty with them. This is because it is showing such a genuine human emotion that people can’t resist wanting it and reciprocating.
And the people that don’t are not meant to be in your life. And by being loyal to the people in your life, you see the ones who reciprocate. If they don’t then you have done yourself a favor. By still acting loyal, close to your moral compass, and filtering out the people who don’t belong and deserve to be in your life.
What Is Loyalty To You? (Me)
One of most pure form of loyalty that I can think of at a time in my life was when I was fired from a job for being too loud at work! My friend thought it was not fair to be fired for this. I was taken to court for claiming unemployment at the time between when I was fired and the time I got a new job.
My friend was still working for the same company at the time. He came to court and testified against the management team and for me. Then when to work right after and had to see them at work! That to me is one of the most loyal acts I have ever had the honor and pleasure of experiencing. This is loyalty to me.
I would love to hear an example of what loyalty is to you in the comment section, to show us all that loyalty still exists.
The best what to see what loyalty is to you is to think about the times where you felt people were being most loyal to you or you were being most loyal to them. Also list out the qualities that the most loyal people in your life have. This will show you exactly what YOU think loyalty is. As well as give you a list of attributes and qualities that you yourself can either adopt or keep nurturing the ones you already have.
Loyalty Synonym & Antonyms
Often times it helps us understand something by looking at similar words as well as words that stand for the exact opposite. Here are some loyalty synonyms and antonyms that can help us get perspective on what loyalty is a little better:
12 Examples of loyalty
- A friend standing by you when you have been fired and they still call you and text you and hang out with you even though you don’t work at the same company any more.
- A soldier won’t give up any intel when they are being tortured by the other side.
- A company reward customers with loyalty points for shopping enough with the company.
- A buddy bails you out of jail even though they have to be up for work early and you call them in the wee hours of the night. They also ask no questions about it or judge you at all.
- Staying with a mate even if they have gotten into a bad accident and will never be the same, physically, mentally or emotionally.
- Jesus dying on a cross for the world (Whether you believe this to be true or not, this is an example of the highest form of loyalty)
- A teacher who stays late after school to help a struggling student.
- A sports player staying with a team regardless of whether they are winning or losing. Year and and year out. Even when the person becomes a mega-star and is being offered more money.
- When someone a group of people is gossiping about your friend and you step in and tell everyone to shut their mouths about it. Trading popularity for loyalty.
- Firefighters risking their lives for someone they don’t even know. They do this of course to pay the bills, but don’t get paid enough to buy this type of loyalty. They do so because it is their higher calling.
- Someone taking a pay cut in order for the business to stay afloat. Knowing they may or may not ever get that promotion they were promised.
- It is the wife who stays with her husband when he’s broke and nearly homeless then loving him just as much when he climbs the latter and becomes CEO of a company.
- A man who is now thrust into the spotlight and has the chance to be with any supermodel, but his loyalty lies to his one true love.
Also, most of us have hear the story about the dog who would follow their owner to work everyday and stay seated at the train station all day until their owner came home. The owner ended up dying and the dog kept waiting at the train station every single day until the day it died. This is loyalty. The devotion of your life. Putting the other person over even your own goals.
Good loyalty reflects the qualities of a good leader. They want to help other people see and reach their greatness. For them not for the leader. Which is what makes them a good leader. They have empathy, kindness, compassionate, devotion, allegiance and alignment with the people they care for most. All doing so without wanting anything in return for their actions.
At the end of the day it is putting the priority of the other before your own or anyone else at the moment. And seeing to it that their needs are met before you attend to your own.
How To Be More Loyal (Loyalty Characteristics)
A relationship based on loyalty has the chance to literally last forever. Even if it is a marriage to where it ends up not working out, they will still remain friends for life. Or if two friends are loyal to each other and end up leading different lives and only can come together every now and again, it will feel as if they never left each other. They pick up right where they left off. That is the power of loyalty. To create a relationship that is made in the heavens so to say. So strong of a bond that it can’t be broken by anything.
To be more loyal in relationships, you and I need to adapt certain qualities in which we show up with, day in and day, out. Here are some examples for what is loyalty in a relationship so that you and I can use them to become more loyal people:
Right or Wrong
No matter if the person you are trying to be more loyal to is right or wrong, you have their back. Especially when they are being called out about it. It doesn’t matter if you agree with their decision or would have done the total opposite. Stand by their side when no one else is. That is loyalty.
Honestly, the thing that comes to mind about what loyalty really and truly is, is how a dog is to their owner. No matter if your fat or skinny, rich or poor, depressed or euphoric, black or white, young or old. A dog has your back and is completely and utterly devoted to you to death due them part. No matter if you are having a good day or bad day, they show up every time, wagging their tail and excited to see you. They SHOW UP. They are consistent. And they give their devotion to you day in and day out.
Treat Others Like You Would Treat Yourself
When it comes down to it, we usually treat ourselves pretty good. We have desires and we meet them first and foremost over others. We want to beat people to the coffee line, eat the first slice of pizza, win an argument. But when you are being loyal to someone, you put their needs above yours. So to be more loyal, simply treat the persons desires as your own. Offer the first slice of pizza to them, allow them to win the argument. Whatever desire you have at the moment, fulfill that same desire for the other person. It is a form of self-sacrifice which is the ultimate form of loyalty and love.
Like A Mother
There is almost nothing as loyal as a mothers love to their children. If they are getting bullied at school, she wants to beat up the bully and the the kids mom and the principle for not stepping in and doing something! You gotta appreciate a mothers love. We can become more loyal when we act to the people in our lives as a mother would act to their children. Selfless and compassionate. Always wanting the best for them. A protector of sorts, both emotionally and physically.
Think Before You Act
Never engage in acts that would lead a person to question your loyalty. If you think that it is crossing the line to where you look like you are two faced. Or that you are saying something when the other person is not around that is conducive to how you would speak when they were, than don’t do or say it. Act in a way that shows the utmost respect for the people you want to be loyal to.
Be The Bad Guy
Often times someone will be talking crap about our friends or family. We won’t say much. But loyal people don’t care about being popular and fitting in when this happens. They stand up for their friend for loved one and risk being the bad guy. Even if it comes to a verbal or physical argument. So when people are talking bad about the people we love, we need to snuff it out as quick as they say it. Shut them up. Because you value the loved on over being popular with people and wanting to fit in.
Til Death Due Us Part
At the end of the day, we are living in a generation that gives us way too damn easily. The divorce rates are higher than ever. But to be loyal, it means sticking it out with your people. Though rich or poor, sickness and health, happy or unhappy, you stick by their side no matter what. Loyalty is about living out this philosophy day in and day out.
You may remember a time when you were in grade school where the most popular person brought a new person into their group. They did so because they liked the person or saw they needed friends. And they brought them into the group no matter how the group felt about it. The person didn’t care about the opinion of the group as much as they did make the new person feel included.
We can do so with our friends or mates in the same fashion. Bring them around everywhere we go. Introduce them in a way we would introduce ourselves. Make them get in pictures they act like they don’t want to be in. Including someone in these types of acts makes them feel simply included. And this builds a loyal relationship between the you two as they know you have their back.
Ask What Loyalty Means To Your Friends and Loved Ones
Often times we define things entirely different than the people around us. One person defines success as being able to own a lamborghini and a beachfront home. The other defines it as having their children go to college and grow up happy. Nothing is wrong with either, it is simply their own personal definition. But the same thing applies to the people around you regarding loyalty. In order for us to clearly understand what the other person defines as loyalty, we need to inquire about with with them. We can only be the most loyal person to them if we know how they define it. Once we have that, we can act in ways that support the light they see loyalty in.
I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news. But when it comes down to it, if we are having trouble being loyal to someone, they may just not mean enough to us. That is the sad truth. We need to come to grips enough with this fact and learn to move on. This will allow us to give respect to the person who wants loyalty from the people in their life. As well as allow us to find someone that we can be completely and utterly devoted to with the highest amount of loyalty possible.
Be Like A Soldier
Our warriors fight for our country without expecting almost anything at all for this country. This is the essence of loyalty, which the word devotion is the best world possible to go next to the world loyalty. It is devotion. To put your life on the line for the other person. Even if there is no guarantee that we will make it out alive or get it in return. Off the battle field, devotion means that we are devoted to the person regardless of what we get back from them. There are no ulterior motives. We are simply a soldier going to battle for our friendship. So act like a soldier with the people you are loyal to or want to be loyal to. You are their solder and they are the country you are trying to protect.
Listen To Them
Becoming a good listener can help us become more loyal. A great article talks about the link between loyalty and listening talking about how to do so to build customer loyalty. But we can learn and apply the tips to build loyalty in any relationship. The article talks about how listening to someone allows us to truly understand them and their needs. When we do so, we avoid misunderstandings and assumptions. It clears the air to know what the party wants and needs instead of just trying to assume you know or assume they know you know. It allows us to provide them with the ultimate human need – the feeling of being understood.
In order for us to be better listeners it requires us to listen with our hearts, which will allow us to grasp both what is being said as well as the feelings behind it. We should focus more on understanding instead of simply hearing what is being aid. We can learn more about the person by asking open questions that allow a person to elaborate instead of simply just giving us a yes or no answer. Also use empathetic listening which is reflecting to the other person what the are saying and feeling.
By becoming a better listener, we can become more loyal as we are truly being empathetic towards the person. This builds an emotional connection to where we care about them more deeply and they feel this. We also know the true needs of the person, which we can fulfill. Creating a deeply loyal relationship.
Inquire About Them
Sometimes last thing people want to do at the end of a long day is ask about how the others day was. But engagement in conversation is one of the biggest keys to building and keeping a good relationship. The same thing is true about any relationship. Even in business, one of the biggest keys of customer loyalty lies in engagement with customers.
An article about customer loyalty references a study in which engaged employees can cause companies to double their revenue and build a better level of loyalty with customers. The same is true with romantic relationships and friendships. Simply engaging with the other person enough to make them feel as if you care enough to do so. This will create more loyalty as almost every relationship people encounter in their daily lives is filled with just the necessities for getting by. A hi, how you doing is about the start and end of any conversation nowadays.
But by engaging deeper into what people say and what is going on in their lives can be worth it’s weight in gold in creating loyalty between you two.
It’s The Little Things That Count
Part of being a loyal person is by creating memories and doing things that make the other person feel much more cared for than the things money can buy. Anyone can buy someone something in effort to try to buy loyalty. But if you and I remember the little things, compliment on how good their new haircut looks, ask them about how their goals are going that they told us about. Asking them about thing that they don’t even remember telling us. That is where true loyalty is shown. You care enough to make the small things your biggest priority.
125 Quotes About Loyalty
- “Loyalty is about people who stay true to you behind your back.”
- “Loyalty is hard to find. Trust is easy to lose. Actions speak louder than words.”
- “Loyalty means nothing unless it has at it’s heart the absolute principle of self-sacrifice.” – Woodrow Wilson
- “Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self sacrifice creates trust in the power of love.” – Morihei Ueshiba
- “Loyalty makes us trust. Trust is what makes us stay. Staying is what makes us love, and love is what gives us hope.” – Glenn van Dekken
- “Loyalty is so rare nowadays. If someone remains loyal to you, appreicate them, don’t take them for granted.”
- “Loyalty means I’m with you whether you are wrong or right.”
- “My whole thing is loyalty. Loyalty over royalty, word is bond.” – Fetty Wap
- “A person who deserves my loyalty receives it.” – Joyce Maynard
- “Be loyal to your future, not your past.”
- “Loyalty is more than a word. It’s a way of life.”
- “There is something wrong with your character is opportunity controls your loyalty.”
- “Respect is earned, honesty is appreciated, trust is gained, loyalty is returned.”
- “Honesty and loyalty are key. If two people can be honest with each other about everything, that’s probably the biggest key to success.” – Taylor Lautner
- “One of the things that makes me who I am is the loyalty I have to people I hold close to my heart.”
- “Take one cup of love, two cups of loyalty, three cups of forgiveness, four quarts of faith and one barrel of laughter. Take love and loyalty and mix them thoroughly with faith, blend them with tenderness, kindness and understanding. Add friendship and hope. Sprinkle abundantly with laughter, Bake it with sunshine. Wrap it regularly with lots of hugs. Serve generous helpings daily. ” – Zig Ziglar
- “Blood makes you related, loyalty makes you family.”
- “Loyalty is something you give back, regardless of what you get back, and in giving loyalty, you’re getting more loyalty, and out of loyalty, flow other great qualities.” – Charles Jones
- “Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer care.”
- “Loyalty isn’t grey. It’s black and white. You’re either loyal completely or not loyal at all. And people have to understand this. You can’t be loyal only when it serves you.” – Sharnay
- “If you cheat on a girl that’s wiling to do anything for you. You actually cheated yourself out of true loyalty.”
- “Loyalty cannot be blueprinted. It cannot be produced on an assembly line. In fact it cannot be manufactured at all for its origin is in the human heart, the center of self-respect and human dignity. It is a force which leaps into being only when conditions are exactly right for it, and it is a force very sensitive to betrayal.” – Maurice Franks
- “If vitality gives a man’s perspective colors, if community bons give them breadth, if awareness of the land makes them realistic, a deep sense of loyal gives them personal meaning and integrity.” – Harry Huntt Ransom
- “Nothing is more attractive than loyalty.”
- “Loyalty to an unjust cause is preservation of honor.” – Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson
- “Loyalty and friendship, which is to me the same, created all the wealth that I’ve ever thought I’d have.” – Ernie Banks
- “Some people aren’t loyal to you, they are loyal to their need of you Once their need changes, so does their loyalty.”
- “I place an enormous premium on loyalty. If someone betrays me, I can forgive them rationally, but emotionally I have found it impossible to do so” – Richard E. Grant
- “Some people aren’t loyal to you, they are loyal to their need of you. Once their needs change, so does their loyalty.”
- “Stop expecting loyalty from people who can’t even give you honesty.”
- “In a world full of unlimited choices, adore those who go hard for you. Commitment is a very rare thing.”
- “A women’s loyalty is tested when her man has nothing. A man’s loyalty is tested when he has everything.”
- “Loyalty is a 24 hour proposition, 24/7. It’s not a part time job.” – Jonathan Moyo
- “The foundation stones for a balanced life are honesty, character, integrity, faith, love and loyalty.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Loyalty is a feature in a boy’s character that inspires boundless hope.” – Sir Robert Baden Powell
- “Loyalty is rare. If you find it, keep it.”
- “Loyalty to country. ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.” – Mark Twain
- “Loyalty is the first law of God.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
- “Some men think women want money, cars and gifts. But the right woman wants a man’s time, effort, passion, honestly, loyalty, smile and him choosing to put her as his priority.” – Charles Orlando
- “Fake people don’t surprise me anymore, loyal people do.”
- “I’ll take fifty percent efficiency to get one hundred percent loyalty.” – Samuel Goldwyn
- “I believe in loyalty above everything. It’s all or nothing with me.”
- “If I’m with you I’m completely yours, my loyalty will never change.”
- “You give loyalty, you’ll get it back. You give love, you’ll get it back.” – Tommy Lasorda
- “Loyalty is a cohesive force that forges individuals into a team.” – John Wooden
- “Being loyal is not something that you take lightly. Having someone’s back and knowing they have your is a gift.”
- “You don’t earn loyalty in a day. You earn loyalty day-by-day.”
- “If put to the pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “I’m loyal. And no matter how many times my loyalty has been abused, that’s one characteristic of mine I will never change.”
- “Loyalty is hard to find. Trust is easy to lose. Actions speak louder than words.”
- “Loving me when I am with you is not what makes you a loyal person, but to love me when I am away from you is what makes you loyal.”
- “There are some people who will never understand the importance of friendship, some people who already do, and some people who have to lose everyone before they get it. Surround yourself with people who will value you right now and always. Who will be loyal to a fault. Not the ones who don’t care if you leave or go, and definitely not the ones who will beg you to come back after you’ve made the decision to walk away. I’m giving this advice to you and myself. I sometimes open my arms to be I know are bound to hurt me.”
- “All men are loyal but their objects of allegiance are at best approximate.” – John Barth
- “Loyalty means I am down with you whether you are wrong or right, but I will tell you when you are wrong and help you get it right.”
- “Loyalty and respect goes both ways. If they don’t return it, they don’t deserve it.”
- “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.”
- “Life has taught me that you can’t control someone’s loyalty. No matter how good you are to them, doesn’t mean that they will treat you the same.”
- “A person is born with feelings of envy and hate. If he gives way to htem, they will lead to violence and crime and any sense of loyalty and good faith will be abandoned.” – Xun Zi
- “Soldiers, when committed to a task, can’t compromise. It’s unrelenting devotion to the standards of duty and courage, absolute loyalty to others, not letting the task go until it’s been done.”
- “At this age, I’m only interested in consistency, stability, respect and loyalty.”
- “I’m not perfect but I’m loyal.”
- “Nothing is more attractive than loyalty.”
- “Be loyal to those who are not present. In doing so, you build the trust of those who are present.” – Stephen Covey
- “Look for intelligence and judgement and most critically, a capacity to anticipate, to see around corners. Also look for loyalty, integrity, a high energy drive, a balanced ego and the drive to get things done.” – Colin Powell
- “I respect a person who respects me when I am not around.”
- “When it comes to relationships, remaining faithful is never an option but a priority. Loyalty is everything.”
- “Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it has left you.”
- “Do yourself a favor and stop pushing away the people who love you the most. You’ll never find perfect people, but you will find loyal ones.”
- “The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in it’s loyalty to each other.” – Mario Puzo
- “I don’t ask for much, loyalty is good enough.”
- “As people grow up, they realize that it becomes less important to have more friends and more important to have real ones.”
- “I’m loyal, when I get screwed over, I’m still loyal because two wrongs don’t make a right and revenge isn’t always sweet. I rather have peace and move on with my life.”
- “I just want someone who defines loyalty the same way I do.”
- “If someone is loyal to you, they shouldn’t be a thought, choice or option. They should be a priority.”
- “I never cared about the material things someone could give me. I care about time, attention, honestly, loyalty and effort. Those gifts mean more than anything money could buy.”
- “Respect and loyalty are not upgrades in a relationship, they are are requirement.”
- “It’s not about who is real in your face, it’s about who stays loyal behind your back.”
- “Spoil me with loyalty, I can finance myself.”
- “I’m not conventional or without flaws. But I love with my whole heart and loyalty runs thought my veins like a river. If I can you my firends, I’ll move heaven and earth to support you. IF you truly know the meaning of friendship, you will understand.”
- “What I value you most in my friends is loyalty.” David Mamet