What Is Self Esteem?
- 1 What Is Self Esteem?
- 1.1 Importance Of Self Esteem
- 1.2 What Is Low Self Esteem?
- 1.3 How To Develop Bullet Proof Self-Esteem
Lets start off with what the definition of self esteem is so we can get an idea of what it consists of on a surface level. gm
Self Esteem Definition
The definition of self esteem given by Websters Dictionary is: A confidence in one’s own worth or abilities – self respect.
Synonyms of self esteem: dignity, pride, faith in one-self, self respect.
Breaking Self Esteem Down Further
So lets go into each of the synonyms to give you a better idea of what really goes into the qualities of self esteem:
Dignity – The state or quality of being worth of honor or respect. Or composed or serious manner or style.
Pride: A feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived.
Self Respect: Pride and confidence in oneself; a feeling that one is behaving with honor or dignity.
7 Types of Self Esteem
A great article by Exploring Your Mind talked about the 3 main types of self esteem. They included:
- INFLATED Self Esteem – This is more of a front in which people think they are better than others seeing themselves as inferior. It is a negative form of self esteem holding the individual back from forming good healthy and affectionate relationships. They are bad listeners and are always blaming people.
- HIGH Self Esteem – These people value and truly accept themselves and others people. They find the courage in themselves to face any problem that comes up in their lives. They take joy in being who they are and not in comparing themselves to others.
- LOW Self Esteem – These individuals do not value themselves and have little if no trust in their abilities. They have a feeling of insecurity that translates into many life scenarios throughout every day. They are swayed heavily by outside scenarios. Ranging from euphoria when things are going right to dark feelings of depression when they aren’t. They have big fears of messing up in life that holds them back. They have a feeling that they don’t measure up. They may act happy but truly aren’t.
Another article breaks it down into more subcategories of the following including:
- High Unstable Self Esteem – High periods of self esteem but not maintained. This type of person doesn’t accept failure but also doesn’t accept. But they also do not like opposing forces going against them.
- Vulnerable Regular Self Esteem – One that lives this way has a good concept of themselves but self esteem becomes fragile when confronted with negative situations. They become defensive when they have to make decisions because they fear they will do something wrong or make mistakes.
- Stable Low Self Esteem – Fears of making mistakes so the are always seeking support and validation for other people. They also don’t fight to support their point of view. The underestimate at all times feeling like they can’t do what they want to do.
- Unstable Low Self Esteem – These individuals want to go unnoticed and fly under the radar at all times. They feel as if they can’t get anything done. Very sensitive and vulnerable to influence by most if not all people even if that person is wrong.
Importance Of Self Esteem
So now that you know the what high and low self esteem consist of. Why is it important to have good levels of self esteem? Well aside from the obvious of feeling positive about oneself.
A great article goes into how one acts when they have high levels of self esteem saying that they exhibit the following about high self esteem examples:
- Don’t dwell or worry about the past and are hopeful for the future
- They accept the differences in individuals and are fair and equal
- Trust their inner voice
- Less fear of failure
- Know their value and their the effect it has on friends and family
- Do not see themselves as inferior neither superior to anyone
So essentially the importance of self esteem is that is allows one to live a more balanced life by default. Causing a lot less stress, anxiety, feelings of inadequacy and fear of failure. This creates a stronger individual who is less prone to be broken down by life, allowing one to rise from tough situations and make the most of out them. This translates to a more successful existence.
What Is Low Self Esteem?
So now you know what actual self esteem consists of, what really is low self esteem? Sometimes looking at what it isn’t or the opposite of what it is can give you a better idea as a whole.
Well Psych Alive describes it as feeling badly about your self and low levels of confidence. Feelings associated with low self esteem include feeling unlovable, incompetent and awkward as well as hypersensitive to their surroundings.
Often times people with low self esteem are so fragile to outside surroundings that their mood is dictated by what happens to them throughout the day. The article says that essentially danger lurks everywhere for someone with low self esteem.
Consequences Of Low Self Esteem
A great article talked about the consequences of low self worth talking about how it can affect you in the following ways:
- Can lead more easily to depression, obesity, anxiety, hypersensitivity, stress and lonliness/isolation.
- Relationship problems with both romantic and friendships
- Perfectionism and rigidity, self blame, lack of trying new things
- More potential for abusing drugs and alcohol
All in all, low self esteem effects a person in every single area of your life. That is why building higher self esteem is crucial to a better life. Below we show you how!
Sum of Definitions and Synonyms
So in essence it is believing in yourself and your ability to carry that belief out on a daily basis that creates a deep sense of self respect in a more permanent way. That emanates honor and respect in a composed manner.
No we have all watched a video or gone to a seminar and felt a sense of higher self esteem or motivation before. But how do we create a sustainable source of self esteem? That not only lasts but we can even build stronger and more powerful?
First off, your habits will create better self esteem or lack thereof.
I personally think that this can be faked. I mean again we all have been given a false sense of elevated self esteem through the likes of outside sources. Through the likes of a motivational speaker or even drugs and alcohol.
These things can be seen as just temporary, but I believe they are actually revealing part of our real self to us. Something we have suppressed and cover up with programs, thoughts and feelings that don’t support our real self.
So I think that we need to break down that wall we have created in order for our true self-esteem to manifest itself. So it isn’t about getting somewhere or going some place to get it. It is more about stay right where you are so to say, and developing it from within.
Self Esteem Vs Self Confidence
The two seem to be exactly the same. But they are more actually like fraternal twins. They have a lot of similarities but in actuality they offer some big differences. I came across a cool article that talked about the difference stating which include:
Self-esteem basically comes down to the value you have in yourself and whether or not you see yourself as a worthwhile human being.
Whereas self confidence is comes down to the belief that you can succeed at things that involve action which psychologists refer to it as more domain specific. They give an example of someone feeling as if they are a good manager but are not confident in public speaking. So you can be self-confident in one area of life but not in another.
Another article goes into the subject, talking about the Latin origin of them both which include:
Confidence which comes from the Latin fidere meaning to trust in ones ability or aptitude to do things.
Esteem which comes from the Latin aestimate to value, rate, weigh, appraise or estimate. In this case our abilities. Which is essentially a more emotional appraisal of ourselves and of our self worth.
The example they gave was of a great performing that can crush their shows in front of tens of thousands of people, but use drugs to suppress their feelings of inadequacy that can lead to death through overdose.
But I believe the two are interchangeable enough to where you can use self-confidence building actions to build better self-esteem. Seeing as that if self-confidence involves action and taking more action creates more self-confidence then you become more confident in one area. Doing so in one area repeatedly will raise your self esteem, because when you begin to master areas of your life, you feeling a deep sense of power perpetuating into every area of your life.
High Self Esteem Examples
A cool article was written on the subject that offered various examples of someone with good self esteem, some of which included:
- Acting in a more assertive manner without any guilt attached to your actions
- You enjoy of balance of activities including but not limited to work, relaxation, recreation, exercising.
- Taking risks to help with self growth
- You value yourself and the people that you come into contact with
- You take people as they are and do not try to change them
- Not taking criticism personally, seeing it as constructive instead of a personal attack
Psychology Today also had an article that gave some great examples of high self esteem some of which included:
- They live life that encompasses an attitude of humility
- They are people of their word and keep themselves accountable for their actions
- They speak the truth and don’t fear if someone rejects them for it
- They better recognize the role of emotions. They don’t take emotions as face value, instead they seek to find the deeper meaning of them from themselves and others
- They are leaders, not followers
How To Develop Bullet Proof Self-Esteem
Extracting Out The Negative
What is really affecting yourself esteem? You need to get things out of your life in order to build stronger self esteem. Often time it is the simple extraction of certain things that will create more solid self-confidence. What do you think is getting in the way of a more positive you?
The more positive you are, the more you will feel confident. Some of the things that may be getting in the way of your ability to create higher self esteem are:
- Drinking too much
- Hanging out with certain people that make you feel less or not enough
- Working in environments not conducive to high self esteem
See Mistakes As Learning Experiences
When it comes down to mistakes, the world is actually bullshit. It is a deeply ingrained word that derived from grade school when we first learned the word from getting answers wrong in class. The school system is simply there for the purpose of creating people who don’t think for themselves. Whether it was created this way on purpose, I don’t know, but I do think so.
When people are empowering themselves, them become stronger. They think more for themselves. Society doesn’t want you to be powerful. They want you to be in fear. This is because when people are in fear they can be controlled. This can be seen in the form of advertisement every single day.
Fear in media is portrayed in a great article about it saying that fear appeal is marketing tactic that encompasses 20 different marketing strategies used in order to pursuade people to buy a product or service, donate to a cause. Essentially they are being programmed to feel more fear if they don’t purchase than if they do purchase. It also gives some pretty grotesque examples of how sick media gets with putting us in fear.
Back to our topic. Instead of seeing the things you do “wrong” as mistakes. See them as growing opportunities. Because the only time you really fail is when you don’t try. When you try and “mess up” it is simply a learning and growing experience that will help you do better the next time you try.
When you see life this way, you won’t fear mistakes as much because there is no consequence, like in class, where you can fail the course. No this time it is seen as building the confidence in your abilities to try again and ultimately succeed through your perseverance.
Also celebrate your small victories along the way as you progress towards your goal. If you don’t do it perfect the first time, seek what wins you had during the process and celebrate them.
Develop Your Competencies
In for us to really portray the best version of you and in turn build better self esteem, we need to focusing on maximizing our best abilities. And forgetting about the things we are “not good at”.
Everyone sucks at something, no one can do it all. But the better we get at the things we are good at, the more competent we feel in general. People know us for being awesome at this certain thing making us feel great.
Don’t give a damn about what you aren’t good at. Don’t be a jack of all trades but a master at none. Simply mastering one or two things is plenty to suffice for building better long lasting self esteem and self confidence.
Seek Constant Growth
You don’t wake up one day and just have high self-esteem for good. You need to constantly be seeking it in the way of listening to audios and reading material that create higher self-esteem. The great thing about this is that once you develop higher self esteem in ONE area of your life, it will actually create higher self esteem in every area of your life. That is just a law of the universe.
So if you create higher self-esteem in the financial field by growing and learning about finances, enabling you to create more financial abundance. Then you will enjoy higher self esteem in any other area.
Do What You Love
I’m not just talking about for a career. I get it, you have to make money and in order to do that, sometimes you can’t do what your passionate about and support your family and life. That doesn’t mean you can incorporate passions throughout the day. Whatever your passionate about try to do it for a minimum of 20 minutes a day. This will give you creative energy that you can use for the rest of your day and night. The creative energy is almost like tapping into an ample supply of energy.
It seems to come from something higher than our self. We have all felt that energy at sometime or another. Where we are doing something we love and lose track or time.
Now hopefully if you are not happy with your career, you can work towards making money from your passion. This will allow you to tap into this source of energy more readily. Also the more you engage in this passion, the more you are able to be yourself. When we are being ourselves, we feel a ton better.
Just think about when you were a kid. You didn’t give a darn about what people thought about you. You were happy. At least happier than most of us our as adults.
Question Your Mind
Again we are living most of our lives living our programs that have settled into our subconscious mind. We think we are living off autopilot but it isn’t true. Every time your mind tells you something that isn’t conducive to higher self confidence, question it.
When you look at thoughts instead of letting them run you, often they dissolve or have less power over us. Also you can replace them with thoughts that support your self-esteem once you become the witnesser of the thought.
In order to truly feel good about life we can’t be living in the past or future. We need to focus on being present through out our life. I mean when it comes down to it, it really is all we have. We fabricate the idea of a future, but consciousness is only in the now. You can’t be move into the future because one you have, you are still in the present moment.
When we stress about the future, we open ourselves up to feeling vulnerable, losing power. Instead of stressing about the future, simply focus on planning for it and bettering yourself to bring a better version of yourself to that future.
Don’t Suppress Your Thoughts and Desires
The more we speak out the more confident we feel. These are little wins that we can have that build onto better and more successful communication. Whether at work, in relationships or in day to day life. The more you use your voice, the more you power you have.
You will become more assertive when you give honest feedback about how your feeling or the ideas you have.
This all stems from answering a question in class wrong in childhood and feeling like a failure. But the more you do it, the less you will feel scared about saying the wrong thing. As well as the more you will be respected by the people that you are communicating better to. Creating inner and outer respect.
Keep A Journal
Another thing you can do is to keep a small journal with you and jot down your thoughts throughout the day that aren’t supportive to your self esteem. That way instead of trying to remember them or suppressing them, you will have a hard copy of essentially the hard-wiring of your brain right in front of you.
Don’t let the negative thoughts get past your nose! Catch them and write them down!
Dress The Part
The better we dress, the more we feel good about ourselves. If we show up disheveled or in clothes that are wrinkled and not very clean. It will show up in our personalities and how we act as well.
Just think about it. When you have been in a dress for the ladies or suit for the gents going to a wedding or nice event. We feel amazing about ourselves.
You can do the same thing on a daily basis. Not as extravagant of course but still dressing sharp. A step above what other people are doing will create a sense of inner confidence.
How you treat others is a true reflection of yourself. If you treat others as equal, which we all truly are. You will feel better about yourself and have a bigger and better impact and influence on people. If you treat people as inferior it is simply a reflection of an insecurity in you.
Again going back to influencing your state through doing things physical. Power posing is an amazing way to create self confidence. Now this may be a temporary fix than create long lasting self-esteem but it can aid in feeling powerful right now. It can also be used in any situation or scenario in life including interviews, dates, business meetings, sales pitches and more.
A great TED Talk was done by Amy Cuddy which you can view below. She is a social psychologist from Harvard Business School who conducted a study on power posing. She had two groups in which she put one of them through a series of power posing or what she referred to as “high power” poses and another group in “low power” poses. The results were as follows:
The results of the study:
- 25% lower cortisol levels compared to a 15% rise in those who did the lower power posing
- 20% boost in testosterone was found in the power posing group versus a 10% decrease in the low power posing group
- 86% of the group that were holding power poses were open to taking risks compared to only 60% of the lower power posing group who were open to taking new risks.
A highly suggest you watch this video when you have 20 minutes!
Change Your Surroundings
This can be as simple as going somewhere different than you usually do in your normal routine. When we break up our routine, we get out of the same thought patterns we have on a daily basis. Simply going down and watch the flow of a river. This can bring you peace and better thoughts. This is a great time to evaluate your goals and life since you are away from the thoughts and feelings that you are usually having throughout your normal daily routine.
Emulate People Who Are Where You Want To Be
If you want more self-esteem read about people who you think have it. Read about them and what their lifestyle consists of. How they got to where they were. They often had a moment of being sick and tired of themselves and changed. This will give you insight on how some of the most confident personalities in the world have gotten that way. Better yet how you can do the same through their footsteps.
Reshaping your body is one of the fastest ways to change your life and self-esteem. Tony Robbins talks about changing your state. When you change your state of being, you change your life. He talks about the fastest way to change your stay is physical. When you change something physical about yourself, you change the mental by default. There is no trying to work at it, it just happens.
You can make great changes in your body within 6-8 weeks. Develop a fitness and eating plan that will empower you and allow you to create higher self esteem through having it be sustainable so you can reap self esteem benefits from it long term.
Mentally Change Scenarios In Which You Displayed Low Self Confidence
Often times in life we have had scenarios where we crash and burn! This can affect our self-esteem in scenarios that are similar to the ones where we dropped the ball so to say. In order to not bring those negative feelings to future situations and scenarios a great way to do so is to change the image of how the scenario played out.
Tony Robbins has a method called the Eraser Technique in which you can essentially erase mental images or feelings associated with a negative event. In order to do this, bring up an image that you want to modify or get rid of. Start by fast-forwarding that event then rewinding this even at 2 or 3 times the speed.
Doing this a couple times will often times allow you to feel better about it. If this doesn’t work, try to play circus music around the image and then even turn the people in the images or yourself into wack cartoon characters that have over sized limbs. Have fun with this! Doing this can often times obliterate events that can be some of the biggest causes of low self esteem!
Better yet, let go of negative feelings associated to these events.
101 Self Confidence, Self Love & Self Esteem Quotes
Since all three go hand in hand and hand, here is a 101 quotes that can show you different perspectives on all three! Enjoy
- “Self respect, self worth and self love, all start with self. Stop looking outside of yourself for your value.” – Rob Liano
- “Overthinking kills happiness. Insecurities kill self-esteem. Lies kill trust.”
- “It’s now what you are that is holding you back. It’s what you think you are not.”
- “Your value doesn’t decrease based on someones ability to see your worth.”
- “Work on being in love with the person in the mirror who has been through so much but is still standing.”
- “How would your life change if your self-esteem improved.” – Caroline Myss
- “Its not your job to lie me – it’s mine.” – Byron Katie
- “Once you accept your flaws, no one can use them against you.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “Self-love is not selfish; you cannot truly love another until you know how to love yourself.”
- “Self-esteem is that deep-down inside the skin feeling you have of your own self-worth.” – Denis Waitly
- “Having a low opinion of yourself is not modest. It’s self destruction.” – Bobby Sommer
- “Love yourself first because that is who you’ll be spending the rest of your life with.”
- “Remember not only do you have the right to be an individual, you have the obligation to be one.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Learning to accept yourself is more important than making people accept you. It’s how you see yourself that really matters.”
- “Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment.” – Thomas Carlyle
- “Self esteem and self love are the opposites of fear. The more you like yourself the less you fear anything.” – Brian Tracy
- “The surest way to lose your self-worth is by trying to find it through the eyes of others.” – Becca Lee
- “Dismantle your wounds so you stop living your life by them.” – Nikki Rowe
- “Growth begins when we start to accept our weaknesses.” – Jean Vanier
- “God made you a masterpiece. Blessed, secure, disciplined and equipped.” – Joel Osteen
- “You marry at the level of your self-esteem, make sure you have self worth.” – Marie Osmond
- “You’ve been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of your self and see what happens/” – Louise L. Hay
- “The wounded heart learns self love by overcoming self-esteem. – Bell Hooks
- “When I begin to love myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs an habits. Anything that kept me small. My judgement called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.” – Kim McMillen
- “Loving yourself isn’t vanity, it is sanity.” – Katrina Mayer
- “Your most important sale in life is to sell yourself to yourself.” – Maxwell Maltz
- “I care for myself. The more solitary the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.” – Charlotte Bronte
- “Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives.” – Louise L. Hay
- “Being yourself is the prettiest thing a person can be.”
- “Just be yourself. Let people see the real, imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful and magical person that you are.” – Mandy Hale
- “No one is you and that is your superpower.”
- “Respect yourself and others will resepct you.” – Confucious
- “The first and most important person you believe in is yourself.” – Toni Sorenson
- “Self confidence is a super power. Once you start believing in yourself, magic starts happening.”
- “The strongest factor for success is self-esteem. Believing you can do it. Believing you deserve it and believing you will get it.”
- “Don’t look for miracles. You yourself are the miracle.” – Henry Miller
- “The best way to gain self confidence is to do what your afraid to do.”
- “Not one drop of yourself worth is depends on the acceptance of others.”
- “Having a low opinion of yourself is not modesty. It’s self destruction.” – Bobby Sommer
- “My self-esteem is high because I honor who I am.” – Louise Hay
- “People who repeatedly attack your self confidence and self-esteem are quite aware of your potential even if you are not.”
- “To love yourself right now, just as you are, is to give yourself. Don’t wait until you die. If you wait you die now. If you love you live now.” – Alan Cohen
- “To me, self esteem is not self-love. It is self-acknowledgement as in recognizing and accepting who you are.” – Amity Gaige
- “You have to learn to leave the table when love is no longer being served.” – Nina Simone
- “Stay true to yourself. An original is worth more than a copy.” –
- “Falling in love with yourself doesn’t make you vain or selfish, it makes you indestructible.”
- “Relationship status, committed to inner peace, expansion, gratitude and self love.”
- “Self-love, self-respect, self-wroth. There’s a reason they all start with ‘self’. You can’t find them in anyone else.”
- “Recognize your own worth and you won’t be drawn to those who don’t see it.” – Doe Zantamata
- “Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable and remove yourself from the unacceptable.” – Jane Travis
- “Self confidence is not taught or learned, it is earned by surpassing your own self-limitations.” – John Raynolds
- “Too many people overvalue what they aren’t and undervalue what they are.” – Malcom S. Forbes
- “I used to walk into a room full of people and wonder if they liked me, now I look around and wonder if I like them.”
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Just remember there are no quick fixes. But by taking action just a little bit every day, you will build up a powerful reservoir or confidence, self-esteem and discipline.” – Scott Allen
- “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
- “The past is not simply the past, but a prism which the subject filters his own changes self-image.” – Doris Kearns Goodwin
- “Self confidence is the best kind of aphrodisiac.”
- “If we are going to build self-esteem, we must get committed to our promises to ourselves and to others.” – David DeNotaris
- “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You realy have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
- “Ultimately the greatest help is self help.” – Bruce Lee
- “Self love is the greatest middle finger of all time.”
- “Low self esteem is like driving through life with your hand brake on.”- Maxwell Maltz
- “One’s dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can not be taken away unless it is surrendered.” – Michael J/ Fox
- “self-love is so important. Because when you find yourself crying on the bathroom floor whether it’s 3am or 5 in the afternoon. Who is going to be there for you? You. You have to pick yourself up and find the strength to move on. At the end of the day, you’re all you’ve got.”
- “I think everybody’s weird. We should celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.” – Johnny Depp
- “There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine.” – Marianne Williamson
- “Greater self-esteem produces greater success, and greater success produces high self-esteem so it keeps on spiraling up.” – Jack Canfield
- “Self love is the source of all other love.” – Pierre Corneille
- “Comparison is an act of violence against the self.” – Iyanla Vanzant
- “Be proud of who you are and not ashamed of how others see you.”
- “People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.” – Elisabeth Kubler Ross
- “Self confidence is the best outfit. Rock it and own it.”
- “I was built this way for a reason, so I am going to use it.” – Simone Biles
- “Chin up princess, or your crown slips.”
- “Worry about loving yourself instead of loving the idea of other people loving you.”
- “Even if it makes others uncomfortable, I will love who I am.” – Janelle Monae
- “Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that’s when you’re most beautiful.” – Zoe Kravitz
- “Self pity gets you nowhere. One must have the adventurous daring to accept oneself as a bundle of possibilities and undertake the most interesting game in the world making the most of one’s best.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
- “The things we hate about ourselves aren’t more real than the things we love about ourselves.” – Ellen Goodman
- “I am confident because I can admit who I am, what I’ve done and love myself for who I’ve become.”
- “A strong positive self image is the best possible preperationfor success in life.” – Dr. Joyce Brothers
- “To establish true self-esteem, we must concentrate on our successes and forget about the failures and the negatives in our lives.” – Denis Wiatley
- “Wholesome self-esteem is cultivated by practicing skills linked to the three blocks of self-esteem. Unconditional human worth, unconditional love an growth.” – Glenn R Schiraldi
- “You are always with yourself, so might as well enjoy the company.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
- “The more you love yourself the less nonsense you tolerate.”
- “Loving yourself starts with liking yourself, which starts with respecting yourself which starts with thinking of yourself in positive ways.” – Jerry Corsten
- “Be who you are not who others tell you to be.”
- “As soon as your trust yourself, you will know how to live.”
- “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.” – Mark Twain
- “It ain’t what they call you, it’s what you answer to.” – W.C. Feilds
- “You are not your mistakes, they are what you did, not who you are.” – Lisa Lieberman-Wang
- “Be everything to you, not everything to everybody.”- Shiela Murray Bethel
- “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “To fall in love with yourself is the first secret of happiness.” – Robert Morley
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “You are very powerful, provided you know how powerful you are.” – Yogi Bhajan
- “Insecure people only eclipse your sun because they’re jealous of your daylight and tired of their dark, starless nights.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “You’ve got to love yourself first. You’ve got to be okay on your won before you can be okay with someone else.” – Jennifer Lopez
- “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brene Brown
I will leave you with this my friends. We all struggle at some level or another with self esteem and self confidence. But the quote that resonated most with me from the list above is this:
“Loving yourself starts with liking yourself, which starts with respecting yourself which starts with thinking of yourself in positive ways.” – Jerry Corsten
How do you start a journey of a thousand miles? With the first step right? It is all about progress and not trying to have high self esteem overnight. You have to chip away, constantly applying self love, bettering yourself, loving others, supporting yourself and going after your goals. Doing so will create better confidence daily that grows and grows until the day we leave this earth.
Let me know what you liked most about this article as well as if you have anything to add! I would love to hear from you.