Take Care Of Yourself (Self Care Tips)
- 1 Take Care Of Yourself (Self Care Tips)
- 1.1 300 Self Help Tips
- 1.2 Take Care of Yourself (Health and Fitness)
- 1.3 How to Achieve The Goal of Taking Care of Yourself
A combination that will lead to a more optimistic life as well as being able to get more done, make more money, create better relationships and overall just be more happy human beings.
And there is nothing wrong with that, right!?
Below, there is a myriad of ways to take care of yourself that range from mental, physical, spiritual, emotional, financial and even giving back.
As I want you and I to not only have it good in one area of our life, I think we deserve the whole entire pie.
We are born to win and engineered for greatness.
And the more we focus on ourselves, the more we can fill others cups up. As our will start to overflow.
And yet before we get into this list, I want you to cast aside judgement on yourself that you may feel that it is bad to focus on ourselves. Making yourself a priority is the best thing you can do for not only yourself, but everyone and everything else in your life.
The better we function, the more we can do for the people we love.
So just know that there is no shame in making yourself number one. This doesn’t mean you are treating anyone else like a number 2 or 3 or 4. It simply means you will be able to give your all to the people and professions and organizations that matter most to you.
Lastly, there is going to be some tough love in this list as well, as I believe what Zig Ziglar would say:
“When you are tough on yourself, life is going to be infinitely easier on you.
Ok so now that we got that out of the day, lets jump into our list of how to take care of yourself, tips that we can implement asap as well as short and long term goals that we can use to create a better version of ourselves over the long term.
300 Self Help Tips
- Take bathes
- Go on walks
- Lift weights
- Eat healthy foods, like veggies, lean meats and nuts
- Tell yourself you love yourself 10 times every morning.
- Let go of your past
- Plan for your future
- Read motivational quotes each day
- Read and listen to self help material
- Volunteer your time (this makes us feel great!)
- Work hard at work, play hard when playing
- Go to the beach or the lake
- Have a friendsgiving to cultivate deep and meaningful relationships
- Write down 10 things you are most proud of about yourself
- Stretch every morning
- Brush your teeth 2-3 times per day
- Create a list of core values that you adhere to
- Floss every night
- Smile more
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes
- Give up bad habits
- Take on good habits
- Say nice things to people
- Drink lots of water each day
- Reflect upon your day each night, to figure out what you can improve on.
- Use blue blocker glasses to protect your eyes when using the computer
- Wear sunscreen when out and about
- Get monthly/yearly check ups with your doctor
- Schedule vacations into your year, and take them no matter what
- Don’t beat yourself up about the past, let it be over!
- Keep healthy snacks on you so you aren’t tempted to eat bad foods
- Feel fear and do it anyway
- Forgive people who have wronged you
- Keep your car and home nice and tidy. Tidy surrounds equals happy mind!
- Declutter and simplify your life and become a minimalist.
- Envision your goals and dreams coming true
- Stop worrying as much, what is going to happen is going to happen regardless
- Use skin care routines
- Create a Pinterest board of all the places and things you want to do
- Pick up a hobby or pastime to engage in daily or weekly
- Get adequate sleep
- Hang around with good and positive people
- Get rid of negative people in your life
- Do the things you know you should do, but don’t feel like doing
- Create a meal plan and prep your meals each week to stay tight with your diet
- Eat less fried foods
- See bad days as lessons to be learned
- Listen to your intuition more often
- Have a cheat day once a week where you indulge in sweets, or things like pizza
- Follow positive blogs and people (Like me and this blog!)
- Hire a personal trainer
- Listen to more old school songs that make you happy
- Celebrate small and big wins
- Take a multi-vitamin every day
- Go to a aquarium
- Trade the victim mindset for a growth mindset
- Resolve to never give up on your goals and dreams
- Brush off old goals and dreams and put new life into them
- Monitor your spending and eliminate bad spending habits.
- Throw away or donate things that have been around too long
- Forgive yourself completely
- Take a long bath or shower
- Set more boundaries in your life, both physical and emotional
- Cry, get angry, scream, let out your feelings more often, stop suppressing them
- Say yes to more things in life that will bring you happiness, peace of mind, success and love.
- Get new shoes more often to help your feet health
- Compete with only yourself, simply try to beat who you were yesterday, day in and day out
- Go to a concert
- Daydream more, about your dreams and goals coming true
- Rekindle a relationship that has gone sour, for more peace of mind
- Say no to things that will derail your happiness and peace of mind.
- Give yourself multiple compliments per day.
- Donate things you don’t use, it will help people and feel darn good
- Find your passion in life, heres how – How To Find Your Passion
- Go to dinner/lunch alone and people watch
- Accept yourself daily
- Set daily alarms on your phone to take breaks, eat healthy, read something good and reach out to someone you love
- Give yourself a facial message, and actual massage
- Don’t verbalize negative thoughts in your head
- Laugh more at things that would drive you nuts or make you mad
- Check in with yourself daily to “feel” if you are on the right path, if not, ask yourself what you can do differently tomorrow to put you on the right path
- Sing as loud as you can while driving
- Go on a solo picnic
- Listen to new music
- Turn off your push notifications on your phone so you can stay present more often
- Wake up early one day and watch the sun come up
- Be more present in conversations with others
- Just straight up do a kart wheel!
- Sleep in the nude more often
- Lay under the stars
- Try to find things in the clouds to name
- Go on a stay-cation
- Drift through downtown stores and boutiques
- Go read a book at Barnes and Noble or some local book store
- Take ten percent of your money each month and spend it on you, go on an Amazon prime spending spree
- Do crossword puzzles
- Watch old movies in your movie collection
- Sneak into a hotel and use the hot tub!
- Snap pictures of things that interest you while you are out and about
- Go out and pick some flowers and give them to a love one
- Change out your phone and computer screensaver to uplighting motivational quotes to keep you positive
- Go take your dream car for a test drive
- Identify the ONE thing in your life that if you did or changed, it would affect every other area of your life in a positive manner
- Lessen time with one person in your life who isn’t having a positive impact on you
- Explore a nearby town
- Go for more bike rides
- Improve your home and create better fen shui to feel better inside your home
- Go to a museum
Take Care of Yourself (Health and Fitness)
Without our health and fitness, we can’t function as good in this life. Our bodies are hurt and tired, our minds our sluggish and our goals seem unattainable.
When we start to create a better body through healthier food choices and exercise, our sense brighten. We realize that we have, in a sense, been sleep walking a little bit through this life.
And when we start to manage this area of our lives, what comes with it is higher levels of self esteem and just an overall feeling of vitality and longevity.
Below are some ideas that we can be incorporating into our lives that will helps you take care of yourself when it comes to health and fitness.
- Walk and run more for cardiovascular health
- Get a message once a month
- Accept and love your body as it is, and yet be open to improving it
- Eat veggies every single day
- Focus on what you eat, be mindful, don’t just try to scarf it back
- Establish a positive morning routine and night routine
- Wake up each morning by drinking a tall glass of water with lemon
- Take a local group class
- Teach yourself how to cook
- Set a goal to lift more weight than you ever have done
- Buy weights and/or cardio machines so you can do fitness at your house
- Go to a local farmers market and get your produce there, this is giving back to your community too
- Bike to the gym instead of driving
- Park far away from your location wherever you go to get extra steps in
- Shoot for 10K or more steps per day
- Take a pro-biotic everyday to keep your gut healthy
- Use spices and low calorie items to make food taste good
- Eat food without any distractions, or even on the go. Eat in peace at home or at a table
- Use essential oils for better health and relaxation
- Do three minutes of deep breathing when you wake up
Take Care of Yourself Financially
Lets face it, money can buy a degree of happiness, as when it comes down to it, being broke can make us miserable.
Money can let us buy good things for our family and for ourselves. And best yet, it can enable us to help the poor. Because we can’t be helping the poor if we are one of them.
Getting our money right should be a top priority in our lives. Monitoring our spending as if our lives depended on it, because they do!
We should be putting the long term over the short term when it comes do money. Save for later, instead of spend for the now.
As with anything, once we start putting awareness in the area of money, we can see where we are lagging as well as what we are doing good with. We can then start replacing bad money spending habits with good money spending habits.
And our stress levels will go down as we are know gaining control over pretty much the biggest area of 99 percents of peoples lives and where most stress comes from.
Here are a couple ideas on how to take care of ourselves when it comes to the mula:
- Pay off your credit cards
- Save for retirement
- Create a emergency fund (6 months of money in the event you can’t work for that long)
- Put money into investments, like stocks
- Buy a home, or invest in another, even doing a joint venture
- Start a side hustle around your passion
- Settle big debts you have to save money
- Give money away, as it always come back in larger amounts
- Create a monthly budget and stick to it.
- Physically write down everything you spend each day (simple yet powerful money management tool)
- Meet with a financial advisor
- Save X amount of money per month.
- Make your coffee at home each day.
- Prep your meals each week to save money on food.
- Have one month where you only spend money on essentials.
- Read one book on finances each quarter.
- Open a 401K or 403B.
- Never use your credit card again unless you can pay the purchase off in full each month.
- Live below your means
- If you have a spouse, work together and get on the same page for finances and become each others accountability partners.
- Create another stream of income.
- Pay off your car, or turn it in and buy something cheaper for cash so you eliminate a monthly payment.
- Write a will.
- Get life insurance
- Don’t compete with anyone else, on what they have or how much they have.
- Plant a garden to save on money for produce purchases
- Cancel payments on things you don’t really use anymore
Take Care Of Yourself Spiritually
The spiritual realm is what a lot of us neglect, as it is unseen. And yet even though it is unseen, it has a power that can course through our everyday existence and make us feel happier, have more hope, love deeply and essential feel like our lives have true meaning.
It the the component upon which we can base the rest of our lives off of.
I am not saying we need to believe in and traditional sense of the words “God” or “religion.
I am definitely saying that whatever we practice in this realm, we need to own and feel as if it resonates with our spirit, with our soul.
And because it does, it is the right “religion” for us. And because it is our path, we can walk it with strength and conviction, knowing that we are filling up our own cup fiercely.
Here are a myriad of ideas on how to take care of yourself spiritually:
- Pray each day asking for strength and wisdom
- Let go and let God more
- Ask for strength to forgive people who have wronged you
- Meet with a small group to help talk about stresses in your life
- Find your passion and live it daily
- Believe in a force or power bigger than you if you don’t yet (Don’t label it)
- Attend church service religiously (pun intended!)
- Laugh more and act more childlike
- Live like you are going to die, because one day we all do.
- Take ten minutes a day in silence, and just be.
- Give love and adoration to everyone you meet, give them compliments. It will make you feel good too.
- Fill up an entire gratitude journal this year
- Allow yourself to feel your emotions more, instead of trying to deny that they are there.
- Spend more time in nature.
- Create a happy place image in your mind, and visit it anytime you feel stressed out
- Tell the truth at all times
- See coincidences as you are on the right path, and that you are being guided
- Simply be more open minded when it comes to a higher power
- Write down your negative thoughts each day and then burn them
- Tell people in your life what you need from them to have you be happy
- Acknowledge the grace in your life on a daily basis
- Thank the Lord for each day every time you wake up
- Realize how gifted you are, as people in other countries have it much worse
Take Care Of Yourself Professionally
Our career is such a big part of our lives, it consumes at least 1/3 of our lives, and about half of the hours that we are awake during the day.
We want to be making sure that we are using our time wisely, and that we are becoming a better asset to the team and to the market place.
We want to weave in good relationships and grow into a person that is capable of advancing as far as possible in our careers.
That way, we can go to bed knowing we laid it on, that we left no stone unturned. That we are feeling progress daily in our professional lives, which that feeling alone will bring us deep contentment when we lay our head down to go to sleep.
Here are some ideas self care ideas for our professional lives:
- If you hate your job, quit it and find one that you enjoy more
- Hire a mentor to take you to the next level
- Take a course each year to help you become a better asset in your field
- Plan your entire week every Sunday night
- Get your most challenging work thing out of the way first.
- Become more of an expert in your field.
- Cultivate better relationships at work by going out with your employees more. This will create a better work environment.
- Develop better communication skills.
- Get new creative business cards made
- Create a great hand shake
- Do tongue twisters each day to build great communication and linguistics skills
- Get a contact manager app
- Take out a person in your your arena who is doing better than you to pick their brain on how to go further in your career
- Go to one networking event per month
- Build the perfect elevator pitch for what you do
- Get more familiar with online platforms and things like Word, Excel and other apps on the computer that will help you in your career
- Get new professional pictures taken and put them on all your social media platforms
- Don’t get involved in gossip at the office
- Speak up all the time in meetings
- Ask for a raise, back it up with your accomplishments
Take Care of Yourself Personally (Personal Development)
When it comes down to it, you and I are our greatest assets. We can’t find happiness outside ourselves, we must go within and build a reserve within ourselves that we can draw from.
We often times are tricked into thinking if we get enough stuff in the world, that suddenly we will feel like we are enough. That we matter. That we count to the world.
And yet, it isn’t the case. Haven’t you ever got something you really wanted, and then weeks, months or even days later you were feeling the exact same way as before you got it?
Material things don’t replace the emptiness we feel within. The thing that replaces it is adding to the emptiness, to fill in that space. This is done through personal development, which when we engage in this beautiful journey, we fill our own cup up.
We seek the kingdom within, and because of it, more happiness, peace, romance, joy and money are added unto us.
Here are a couple ideas for how to care for yourself through personal development:
- Shower people and yourself with daily gratitude.
- Hire a life coach
- Think with an abundance mindset
- Step out of your comfort zone often
- Commit to only staying mad, sad, angry, depressed, anxious for 1 minute, than move on from it.
- Read one book a month or even a week!
- Write in a journal once a week or even a night
- Create a bucket list and start checking those babies off (Life is short)
- Monitor your time each day, try and use every hour for things that are going to move you forward.
- Cultivate urgency in your life, never too much downtime
- Create a vision board: 405 Vision Board Ideas
- Live a life that makes you happy, not based on what makes someone else in your life happy.
- Have better time management in your daily life.
- Watch one TED talk per week to help you grow
- Learn a new skill, like learning a new language to stretch and grow yourself
- Talk about your feelings, dreams, goals and ambitions with someone you’re close to
- Write a letter to someone you need to forgive, let it all out, then burn that sucker
- Create a list of positive affirmations and state them aloud each day
- Take a class at a local college to challenge yourself
- Commit to only staying mad for 60 seconds, then you let it go
- Wake up at the same time every day
- Unfollow people on social media who don’t add to your self empowerment
- Listen to one self help audiobook per month
- Wake up everyday without hitting the alarm clock
- Believe that you deserve happiness, abundance and success, because you do!
- Let go of people judging you about what makes you happy, then go do those things day in and day out
- Go a little bit harder in every area of your life, everyday
- Fast from technology one day a week
Take Care of Yourself Through Contribution
Although contribution is more “outside” ourselves, the feeling we get inside is what really counts. Zig Ziglar said it best “If we help enough people get what they want, we can have all that we want.”
Giving makes us feel incredible. It is the ultimate win win as the other person feels a joy and both of you feel a deep and impactful spiritual connection.
We realize that giving is the ultimate gift that we can receive. Counterintuitive to the normal thought process, and yet truly a spiritual truth.
And the best time to give, is when we have little. As this start the receiving process. Whatever you give out, must come back.
Here are some ideas for taking care of yourself through contribution:
- Give money and/or time to a cause near and dear to your heart
- Give time a to a food bank
- Give some money to a homeless person
- Smile at more people you walk by
- Let people in on the freeway
- Pick up litter on the streets
- Join groups on the community whose focus is to give back
- Make someone else’s day by texting them something nice
- Simply give love to everyone you come accross
- Start a non profit
- Visit another country and give your time and/money to struggling people
- Drop off clothes to the Goodwill
- Put good news and positive quotes on your social media stories to make people feel better
- Give blood once per quarter
- Lead boys or girl scouts
- Become a big brother/big sister
- Give your time at a local center for seniors
- Teach a skill to children or even adults for free
- Become a sponsor for a youth soccer time
- Do a walk/run for a cause you believe in
- Help paint a positive community mural
- Send a thank you letter to a soldier
- Adopt a pet
- Use apps which donate money to charity
- Become an organ doner
- Grow out your hair and give it away
Take Care Of Yourself Through Family
This of course, is essentially taking care of multiple people, as our lives can really only go as deep as our roots.
Taking care of yourself through family interaction can bring you deep and fulfilling memories, bond with the people that mean the most to you and of whom you mean the most to.
As well as patch up family problems and drama from the past in order to lead a more balanced and happy life.
Again, this is all about the entire approach to taking care of ourselves. And our last wheel on the vehicle is family.
Here are some ideas that you can use to get to know your family better through, which will lead to us feeling better our ourselves as we are fulfilling a a strong need in our lives:
- Write to family members about the impact they have made on you
- Go on a family vacation
- Have a sit down dinner once a week with a family member
- Forgive all the people in your family
- Bury a time capsule together
- Go through old photo albums
- Watch old family movies together
- Become accountability partners as a group to keep each other accountable for reaching goals
- Go to a sport event or concert together
- Play a pick up game of baseball
- Go through the frisbee together in the park
- Go play mini golf together
- Build a puzzle together
- Cook a three course meal together
- Take goofy family photos
- Go camping
- Go thrift shopping and sell all the things you buy for more online, then use that money to hit the movies or go on a day trip
How to Achieve The Goal of Taking Care of Yourself
First off, like the title says, it is a goal. We need to be seeing it as such. Otherwise, it will be to vague. So the first thing we need to be doing is create goal out the desire to take care of ourselves.
This starts with creating a specific goal. Something like:
I take care of myself by doing one or more things daily that will add to me being more empowered, happy, energetic and peaceful.
I do this by checking in weekly on my progress, and putting myself as a first priority.
First of, the best thing to do to achieve your goals in this life and adhere to doing the things above that will help you take care of you, are to have someone that keeps you accountable.
When we have someone keeping us accountable for our actions, we behave better. As the American Society of Society of Training and Development ran a study in which they found that we are 65 percent more likely to accomplish our goals if we are being held accountable.
So the first key is to have someone in your life who you can check in with. The thing to note here is that this person needs to wanting to be changing their own life as well.
We need to be syncing up with people of whom are looking to grow and expand, like you and me. They need to want more out of life and be willing to show up, as do you and I.
And naturally, there will be competition between you two, which is good and healthy and can push us harder to continue to do things to take care of yourself and achieve a much different life because of it.
A couple other tips on how to consistently take care of yourself include:
- Tracking your progress – A good key is to think about how you are doing at least once a week, try every Sunday. Identify what you are doing good, and what you need to improve upon.
- Be Honest With Yourself – You and I need to be telling ourselves how it really is. If it is isn’t working, we need to know, black and white. No beating around the bush. This will allow us to change our approach faster.
- List Out Obstacles – What are the obstacles in your life that may be getting in the way of you taking care of yourself? You and I need to be identifying those obstacles and then eliminating them.
- Grow Your Self Image – Sticking to changing our life and taking care of yourself will change your self image. We need to be doing other things that create a more positive image that we hold of ourselves. Reading self help books, surrounding ourselves with positive people as well as having more positive self talk in which we speak to ourselves in a loving and empowering way. These things will allow us to see ourselves a worth of being taken care of. And naturally will help us create a better life for ourselves.
- Do It For You – Again like I talked about above, and it needs to be reiterated, we need to be taking care of ourselves for us, not anyone else. Otherwise, we will only do it for so long. It needs to be our goal, not one someone has set for us. Like people who lose weight because their doctor said they should. They usually gain it all back because it wasn’t THEIR goal.
Conclusion To Taking Better Care of Yourself
So there we have it my friend. A wholistic approach on how to take care of yourself, touching upon all the areas of our lives, including financial, family, contribution, health, professional along with personal development.
I hope you enjoyed the article and got some value out of it!
I want to hear from you now. What suggestion are you most excited about implementing into your daily life?
What one’s did I miss that you can add that can help us all take care of ourselves better?
Lets chat in the comment section below.
I look forward to hearing your advice and your voice on the topic!
Thank you very much for taking precious time out of your day to stop by and hang out with me for a bit!
See you on the next one my friend.